Tuesday, October 2, 2007

On the Road Again

I checked this book out of the library last week. It was on the shelf across from some fiction I was picking up. It's been fun to thumb through and see the places that I've been and the places I would love to go. One of the places was right here in Dallas: The Mansion at Turtle Creek, which is a five-star hotel and restaurant. So, I'm thinking next anniversary? Hopefully!




By my count, I've been to 43 places listed in the book! Only 957 places to go. So, let's see...if it took 30 years to get 43, then it will only take me (957 divided by 43 times 30) 667.67 more years to hit them all! Well, that's totally doable! What was I worried about. <_<




Some of the places listed that I've been to were:

The Oregon Coast:

Monticello:

And Neuschwanstein:


But imagine my surprise, when my beloved Butchart Gardens did not make the list! So, I decide to make my own list. Now, of course, I don't have 1000 places to list, but I do have 10 places that took my breath away. Some, because of the beauty and some because of the history. But all these places hold a special spot in my heart, because the day I visited them, I truly understood the phrase, "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, of good report or praise worthy, we seek after these things."

10. Adam-Ondi-Ahman, Daviees County, Missouri


This picture doesn't do it justice, but it is close to the place where I went when I was 15. It was here that I had one of the most amazing spiritual experiences of my life. My testimony has truly never been the same since visiting this site.


9. World Trade Center, Ground Zero
This picture was taken just a few months after we visited New York. We actually rode the train into the World Trade Center Station everyday. It was very emotional to start our day this way. I'm sure y'all can appreciate this.


8. Gettysburg National Military Park and Cemetary, Pennsylvania

My sister used to live about 1 1/2 hours from Gettysburg. Once, when visiting her, she took us to it. At the end of a long, lovely, and fascinating driving tour, you come to the large field where the final battle took place. It was very easy to picture the soldiers marching towards each other, and I remember getting emotional about the ridiculousness of war. Of course, the Civil War was completely necessary in order to abolish slavery, but the fact that it had to come to that was so disheartening at that moment. I pictured all these young men marching toward their death and completely realizing that while doing it. It still moves me when I remember it.


7. Windsor, England

Though Hubby and I spent less than a day here, we both LOVED it! It's my dream to rent a summer home near here. Ahh...that would be the life! Of course, all of you would be invited, too! ;)

6. The Statue of David and The Pieta by Michaelangelo Florence and The Vatican, respectively


The first time I saw a picture of The Pieta was in a text book when I was 13. I was blown away by the small image. My mother told me what it was and that it was in Italy. I said to myself, "Someday, I'm gonna see that!" If I thought the small picture was a masterpiece, well, that was nothing compared to the real thing! I have such loving feelings toward Mary and I think this sums up every feeling a mother would have if they suffered as Christ had. I loved being there.


The Statue of David blew me away, as well. Hubby and I went to see it, because we felt obligated, being in Florence and all. But, seriously, if you have a chance, DO NOT MISS IT! I had no idea why it was such a big deal until I saw it myself. It's truly amazing what Michaelangelo accomplished in his life!


5. Butchart Gardens, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada


What can I say about this place except, "Omigosh! It's the most beautiful place that I've ever been to in my entire life!!!! SQUEEE!!!!"? I was totally inspired by this place. I'm still a little shocked that it's not listed in the book!


4. Stourhead Gardens, England




This makes my list because it was such a dream to be there! As many of you know, or have read on blogs, I was one of the lucky girls that went to England this past May. While sitting in the grotto writing in my journal overlooking this lake, I was swelled with emotion at the blessing of taking this trip. It was truly a dream come true! When the idea was first put out there, in the back of my mind I kept asking, "Is this REALLY gonna happen?" Sitting there, after having re-enacted my fav scene in the movie, I was overcome by the fact that yes, it had happened. Stourhead was also listed in the book. Yes, it's THAT beautiful!



3. Brandenburg Gate, Berlin, Germany
Being in Berlin was surreal. But seeing this site, took the cake! We walked through it, coming from the formerly Russian side of Berlin. To the left of this picture is the government building where they elected Hitler and next to that is a walkway that has monuments of those who had died trying to cross the wall. The last deaths were early in the year 1989. It's truly heartbreaking to stand infront of this gate a realize what atrocities people had lived through.




2. Washington, D.C. Monuments at night

One of the many great things about having a sister that lived in the DC area, was that she really, REALLY knew her way around that town! So, one of the days that we spent in DC, we hit the monuments at night. I was particularly moved by the Korean Memorial. The memorial itself is statues of soldiers marching along. At night, they look like ghosts. It's breathtaking. Seriously, check it out, if you can!


1. Jane Austen House and Museum
Jane is one of my best friends....she just doesn't know it, yet! So, there really are no words for my joy while being at her house! She was truly a remarkable sister, daughter, friend and author. The world has been made better because of her pen.



So, I hope you all enjoyed my extremely long post! I hope that you all have as many wonderful travel memories as I have made. I'm sure you do!



Also, I would like to thank Google Images. Without it, this post could not have been made.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

That was SO fun!! I think this is my most fav. post. I'll have to copy this and save it for future travels.

Rochelleht said...

What a wonderful post, Katrina. I have a lump in my throat as I have also experienced many of those incredible sites and some with you! Jane Austen house and Stourhead were seriously some of the highlights of my life. I also love love love the Pieta. It's just so amazing. I really really felt the spirit when I saw it.

Kudos! Just a great post!!!

Laura said...

What a great thing that you have been to so many wonderful places! I have been to all the US places you listed- but I need to get over seas more often! What a neat post!

Megan said...

What a fantastic post. I loved reading it. I want to get that book from the library and check off the places I have been to. Great idea for a post!

aurora said...

What a terrific post! It was such fun to read about and made me want to chronicle my own travels. Fun!

Julianne said...

I really need to get out of this country. ;) I cannot wait to see all those neat things outside the US. I've been to all the US sites and I agree how special they all are. I've been to Adam-Ondi-Ahman, but not since I was in high school. However, I remember how I felt when I stood on that sacred ground and seeing your picture did bring it back. Neat post!!!

Chanda said...

Wow - I need to get out more!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Katrina! What a great book. I'll have to check it out.

Julie said...

I can't believe I have actually been to two of your top 5! And the best thing is that I was with you for both of them.

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit here and I have enjoyed it very much! This was a particularly great post, you made a great list. It is so inspiring to travel and see the rest of the world.

Thanks for the ideas!

Melissa

Shaka said...

have fun in your travels, he-he! i wish i could see and do everything! my little list kind of stresses me out because there just is not enough time! i better not get the book!

CSL said...

What a terrific post. I was searching for "The Pieta" and found your blog. I'd love to read your testimony too. I too love Jesus, my husband, and our three children,...and my home in Texas!

Blessings to you!