Monday, February 25, 2008

Something I've Been Struggling With...

Don't worry. I promise I won't jump. It's not that big a problem.

No, it's not my weight. I don't want to talk about that.

No, it's my design aesthetic. Yes, I admit it. I've been confused about what type of style I have. But, "How can this be?", you ask. Well, simple as this: I love beautiful things. In all shapes, colors and textures. And, apparently, design styles. So, it gets confusing when trying to decide what direction to take when decorating. Especially when living in Texas. It's too easy to be pigeon-holed into French country or Traditional here. It seems like that's all there is to choose from. Especially if you like to go to Canton as much as I do. All of the sudden, I've taken a new look at my house and have been dissappointed in what I see. And that's rather depressing. So, I've been trying to evaluate where I am and what I'm trying to accomplish and what I really like. Well, not just like, but love.

Now, don't let the previous paragraph deceive you. I've always known that my style was hard to define. In the past, I've really envied my friends who were a certain type of style, straight across the board. In years gone, I've defined my style as Parisian Apartment
/Euro Eclectic
with French Country
thrown in for fun! But with my recent self-doubts, I've been wondering. Not to mention the fact that I have my house in my head, and my house in reality that are competing with each other. Stop fighting, you guys! Why can't we all just get along?
So, I went to HGTV to enter the DreamHouse giveaway (Oh no! Did I just lessen my chances?) and clicked on the Find Your Style page. This is what I am, according to Karen McAloon*: Sophisticated. Honestly, I think that's the first time anyone's ever described me as such. It said that I was mixed and liked traditional elegance with modern lines. I actually find that fairly accurate. Here's the problem, though: They didn't show any pictures or ideas for help. So, there we have it. Katrina is sophisticated, and still confused.

But, all kidding aside, I'm focused now. I now just have to concentrate on finding romantic, simple furniture and lots of sparkle. Luckily, my dining room has stayed on task, and not veered off into undesirable territories. I'm going to try to use this as a jumping off point to tweak the rest of the house.





And by the way, Happy Easter!


*Pay no attention to Karen's picture. It's spooky. They tried to whiten her teeth and just made it very scary to look at. Like Ross and the blacklight.

8 comments:

Jean M said...

I think many of us have had the dilemma of defining our decorating style. Sometimes we're attracted to more than one that don't necessarily complement each another. Then there's the dilemma of wanting that style to suit the architecture of the home. It can get quite complicated. I'm glad, however, that you've managed to narrow your focus. That's something. My answer if someone were to ask me my style is usually "eclectic." How's that for an answer?

Chris Kauffman said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sarah is geneous, you can find deign Inc on Fine living in the USA. www.designinc.ca
Hope you can find it
Chris

Megan said...

Well call it whatever you want but I think you have great style and design ideas. Your house is beautiful! I wish you were here to help give me suggestions! Wanna come for a visit??

Michelle said...

You struggle?? I never would have guessed. I think your house is beautiful!! I wish you were close by so that you could give me advice on decor. I think you have fab. taste and can't wait to see what changes you do.

Julianne said...

I love your house and am always impressed by all the great things you have. I never would have pegged you as being confused. ;) I, on the other hand, am definitely confused. LOL!

Laura said...

You dont need a label it- it just IS!! If it goes and you love it- there you have it!

PS- LOVE the Ross comment- just saw that one AGAIN the other day- man, I am pathetic!!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Your home is lovely! I always tell my clients that everything they love put all together is their "Authentic Style". No use striving for a textbook example of someone's definition of a style, otherwise it seems phony and pretentious. You can just be authentic and true to what things you like! You are doing a great job!

Happy day!

Melissa

Anonymous said...

I agree with Laura - the only label you need is BEAUTIFUL!! ;)